Topic: 3-Chamber Sport Headlights ?

Anyone try these 3-chamber headlights? I was thinking of getting a set.
http://www.800luvbugg.com/-/shop?frame=1.3305
You could replace the H4 55/65watt bulb for a H4 55/100watt one, that would really boost high beam performance up there. I think you can also get 100w H3 bulbs to replace those 55watt one's on the lower fog lamp. I wonder if the reflectors are glass or thermoplastic on these?

3hrs later.....ok, I re-read the ad. They are plastic reflectors.

Last edited by Steiner (2006-12-25 18:51:51)

Re: 3-Chamber Sport Headlights ?

Steiner: They don't mention it in the ad but you may want to check with you local DMV to ensure that these are acceptable units in your locale.... I've had friends that installed similar units but they failed to pass muster with the local DMV and state patrols. Just a thought....

Clancy

Clancy,
Thanks for mentioning that. I didn't really think of that aspect of it. I don't think I'd have a problem here with those, but still worth double checking.

I did a few searches on the net and haven't been able to find anything on how well these work. I did find reviews suggesting that thermoplastic reflectors don't like the upgraded 55/100watt H4 bulbs, and the 90/100watt bulbs do in fact shorten the life of the reflectors due to heat. All glass housing are best.

Steiner: Correct. When I worked for the now defunct Rocky Mountain Motorworks, and sold a similar item ($29.95 back then!), we had to revise the copy in several of our ads to address the higher heat output of any lamp upgrade made by the customer..... and its effect on the plastic housings/reflectors. For a while we had the unit in an all-glass version for only a few dollars more, but were unable to maintain the supply. See Caution 2 in the MAMotorworks installation instructions.  Bottom line is that if used with the recommended bulbs, we never had an unusual number of complaints....only when higher wattage lamps were used.

We also added the stock disclaimer of "For Off Road Use Only" just to avoid the pitfalls I mentioned above. Anyway, be sure to upgrade you wiring system to include a relay to avoid the strain on your electrical system. 

Clancy

Clancy,
Thank for taking the time to reply. As you recommend, I will upgrade the wiring to handle the larger draw of any lights stronger than OEM specs.

I have been thinking about upgrading to H3 or 4 headlights too. What about these fixtures in the link, are the any better than the plastic ones? I find that most guys have switched to the blue brighter halogens on newer cars and they are very blinding. The old sealed beams seem to be very dull compared to the new cars. Let me know what you guys think or have experieced.

Clancy,
What exactly does the relay do? I know I hear it when I pull the hi beam switch.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp … C10%2D7596

Not a proud owner of Sally 1969 Sedan with a burned 1915 tiger under the deck lid.
Also George a 1957 Sedan, not yet started with Resto.

Anthony: As I understand it (and someone needs to jump in here and correct me if this is wrong!!) but the relay allows all 12 volts and all the amps needed to run the higher output lamps to actually get to the lamps. Otherwise you are routing all of that current through a headlight switch and that switch may not be rated to handle the extra amperage.....I guess it could be possible that the switch could get hot and turn itself into a fusible link!! This is the same reason horns often have their own relays to allow the current to drive the horn rather than being wasted heating up all the wires in the circuit.

Ok, someone else will have to give you the precise rationale but I think that's close.  Anyone??

Clancy

Sounds logical. Light switches are not fun to replace so I will try to find something technical to assist me when I am ready to change headlamps. Thanks Clancy. I seem to remember Yancy giving advice, where is he?

Not a proud owner of Sally 1969 Sedan with a burned 1915 tiger under the deck lid.
Also George a 1957 Sedan, not yet started with Resto.

Clancy is correct. The headlight switch is not that great for running that extra electrical load through - it could melt, and also the wires are too under-rated for the extra load (you won't get maximum brightness). When a relay is used, you use thicker gauge wire, and it is shorter in length (as compared to having factory light switch to pass the current to the lights) so that more current gets to the lights - which makes them brighter. I have done this on one vehicle and you do get more volts to the headlights and they are brighter. Then upgrade your bulbs and 'wow', alot brighter.

Clancy,
Did you ever try those 3 chamber lights? Just wondering if they are worth it, or just a nice idea but not that great in reality?

Last edited by Steiner (2006-12-27 17:13:00)

Depending on what year car you are trying to upgrade, you may have some success looking at off road related sites, the jeep guys and etc. There are tons of 12v sealed beam upgrades available, they're just not often listed in VW specific publications. Be aware that some of what's out there is seriously bright and gets very hot.  You definitely want to use a relay, as stated above.

-Jordan

Steiner: Nope, I've never used them. I'm still 6 volts and need a serious upgrade to my entire wiring system. I don't typically drive at night (if I can avoid it) and often when I do, I have to get out my flash light to see if the head lights are on <grin!!>

Clancy