Topic: 71 Beetle, engine will not turn over

Hello,
My beetle has been standing for 6 months unused. It used to start fine six months back but now will not turn over.

I have checked the battery, it is fine and maintains a charge.
I have checked and cleaned the spark plugs and they are ok.
I can hear a 'click' when i turn on the ignition but nothing else happens.

I'm guessing that it may be a starter motor or ignition system.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Drew

Re: 71 Beetle, engine will not turn over

I have just manually turned the engine to get some oil flowing and also tried jump starting it.
No luck

Drew: Always check all fuses. Then thoroughly clean the both battery cables and the battery posts and then clean the terminals on the starter that the cables connect to.
lots of times the starter just gets "gunked" up with grime and dust from the brushes. Also, there is a significant voltage drop in 36 year old wiring from the battery to the ignition key to the starter. If all else fails, remove the starter and check to see if the bronze bushing in the transmission bell hose is cocked and causing the starter shaft to bind. Since you have the starter out, this is a good time to thoroughly clean it and the electrical connections.

Good luck.

Clancy

thanks clancy i'll try that

Also check your points - they get some oxidation after 6 months - light touch up with 600 grit, blow away any residue, might make her fire up when you get her turning over ok.

Nah , Nah ,Nah No ! Look Again , this is typical Vw Woe's it's not Old wireing etc . It's combination of the Gunk and metal sliver's in the Bendix caused by low amperage , and lenght of the wires typical to Vw Key switches in conjunction with , worn starter and starter Bushing In conjunction, with the factor of when your engine was rebuilt at one time or another most likely , the CCR was increased from a stock CCR of 7.5-1 . Not too mention a design flaw inherent too Vw.
  So try this ! Use a screw driver too jump the starter , with key switch off ! Do this several time's , turning the motor over repeatedly by jumping across the Bendix with a screw driver .
   Should fix it ! All tho this is a temporary fix ! As it will happen again ! The usual here is it will fix the Non turn over Syndrome temporarily , sometime's a week , sometimes a Month Etc.
  A more permanant fix here is too install a starter relay ! There 20 Dollar's , there aftermarket , and they were developed specifically too cure your Vw of the Typical No start Woe's !
  In conjunction too this ! Next time you remove the motor for any reason ? Clutch job etc. Replace the starter Bushing in the Bell houseing ! $1.50 for this Lil Bushing !
  Just beaware that this Bushing is worth close too 200 + in labour !!
  Even with a perfect Bushing , and a New Starter , installed and New wireing ! Understand that if the engine has ever been rebuilt ?? Most likely it has !! That more than likely the CCR was increased considerably .
  In the Olden Day's Us Guy's runnin higher CCR's , and larger Bore Motor's Like 1776 CC not quite requireing a High performance starter . Often resorted too Making are own starter relay switche's from a Ford Starter Solenoid .
  Later Empi and Bugg pack Developed a a starter relay specifically designed too cure this problem , and they work great . 15 minutes and 20 buck's will most likely cure your problem !
  Also realize that you need too start offf this procedure with a good , battery charge as often the metal slivers and grease and gunk will cause a short in the Solenoid by conducting a Charge from Battery too the start on the starter solenoid . Even tho not much of a conductor it is enough that in a week, or so time it will drain the battery down some ! A Good hard spinn straight from the Battery , usually clear's it out !
  Sure Hope rest of you guy's read this ! Cause I Am miffed , that I have to continously re-peat this Vw 101 , and 102 ! Arghhhhhhhhh !
                                                                                             Sean

well, thanks, that sounds pretty in depth and like you have done it before. I'll try all the points you mentioned and see how it goes

drewuk wrote:

Hello,
My beetle has been standing for 6 months unused. It used to start fine six months back but now will not turn over.

Remember to solve one problem at a time.

If when you turn the ignition key all you get is a "click" (but no engine turnover)...then there is not need to worry about the points at this time.  The points have nothing to do with the engine not turning over, when you turn the ignition key.

Your problem most likely lies with the starter.

Since you said that you tried jump starting it...that would also more then likely rule out the battery as the problem.

Double check to be sure you are getting power to the starter (might need a 2nd person).

If:

- you ARE getting power to the starter, but the starter doesn't activate when you turn the ignition key...then something is wrong with the starter

- you are NOT getting power to the starter, then you may have an electrical issue (bad ground, disconnected wire, broken wire, bad or missing fuse).

Good luck,

- Nick

1979 Super Beetle Convertible

Yipp Ive been workin on these Lil car's for almost a week now ! Pretty much know what's up with um ! 
  But seriously Just jack the Passenger side , crawl under it and jumper the Starter solenoid with a screw driver turnin the motor over few times . Repeat process 4 or 5 time's then try the Key switch .
  Im bettin the ranch it turn's over via the key switch after you do it !
Just dont get runn over doin it !
Make sure car's in neutral and perform this task with the key switch off ! You dont need too have the key on when just crankin the motor over by jumpering the starter solenoid !
                                                    Sean

Sean's wrote:

Yipp Ive been workin on these Lil car's for almost a week now !

I thought that it was at least 2 weeks!!! <grin>

1979 Super Beetle Convertible

I don't know if this is any help, but recently my VW, which has always started no problems, suddenly wouldn't start.  No turn over, just click...then not even a click.  The battery was less than a year old so I thought, No way...right?  Was able to jump it but even after running for awhile it wouldn't start on its own.  Got the battery tested and it charged, about 95% + but the tester still indicated it needed to be replaced.  Since it was under warrenty I got my new battery and now, no problems.  Back to starting every time.

99/73 Mexi Beetle

Yeah it can be the Battewry on Occassion but understand here another problem inherint too the Vw is Over chargeing the Battery due too a Badd voltage regulator .
  This is usually accompanied by a battery that seep's , and becomes wett on top and corrode's up really fast .
  But these same indication's can be seen in baterries that are not secured properly with a clamp . For the life of your battery , it need's too be secured properly in the battery box . Usuall here is a clamp and nut . If you do not have the Clamp , I often fabricate a clamp for car's that are missin the clamp !
  But as too the general no start condition . Vw's are infamous for the stuck bendix syndrome and this is generally due too, a combination of factor's .
  Low amperage combined with worn starter Bushing in the Bell houseing . In fact if your car suffer's from Low Amperage too the starter this can cause the starter Bushing too wear improperly , primarily due too a badd starter gear throw of the Bendix .
  You Combine all of these factor's with the fact that when the majority of Vw motor's are rebuilt they typically up the CCR ( Cylinder Compression Ratio ) of the motor  , thus putting more work on the starter , along with the Design flaw of the lenght of travel of the Keys witch too starter bendix . You get the No start Syndrome !
  This is why for year's guy's runnin mild too High performance motor's have utilized , the Ford Solenoid's , as starter relay's , and why Bug Pack Empi and few others re- searched and developed aftermarket starter relay's specifically too cure this low amperage , problem .
  Especially for say the 1776cc motor's and 1835cc motor's or any high compression 1600 cc motor's in car's that are 12 volt system / starter and flywheel .
  Now you start strokin and raisin CCR , you should look intoo higher performance style starter's , with more cranking amp's .
  Also realize here when Buying a battery for your Vw , that on some brand's they have a listing for say a 67 12 volt 1300cc motor that is of considerably less cranking amp's than the battery that is listed for the say 74 1600cc  model car . So if your buying a 12 volt battery and you tell um it's for a 67 1300 <, Usually right on the deck lidd , and your motor is say a 1641 cc with a 9-1 CCR , and a camm that they are selling you a battery that has considerably less cranking amp's , for a smaller motor , wich just add's too the Low amperage No start, stuck bendix syndrome .
                                                                                                            Sean