Topic: '67 beetle turn signals not working
So, first off, I should mention that I am a newbie in the VW maintenance world, so please excuse any stupid questions...
I have been attempting to trace down the problem with these turn signals, and here is what I have learned so far:
- the hazards work fine, so I would assume at least that the bulbs & wiring to the bulbs are fine.
- I cleaned all the contacts of fuses, fuse holders, and all ground wires that I could find (one on steering wheel, one attached to rear of speedo)
- from reading the forums, I guess I might have a "9 pin box" problem? but the weird thing is that the "box" is actually what looks like an aftermarket conversion, with a piece of lexan and two smaller boxes (relays?) attached to it. I am linking to pictures below.
- when I turn on hazards, I can feel the top (blue) box clicking, but the bottom box doesn't ever click, even when activating the turn signals
- most wire colors are correct, but several have been changed (blue-green is actually blue, etc, etc); I havn't traced all wire connections, since I was expecting one box for all these wires to connect to, not this funky thing that's actually there...
so, I am stumped on where to go from here. I feel like it is possible that one of the two boxes (relays?) is bad, my guess would be the black one. Before I go replacing parts on a vehicle that I am completely new to, I'd love to get some advice... any help?