Topic: VW Fastback - Air conditioning?

Hi- i have a Fastback 67 and looking for a way to get some heat relief! Does anyone know where I can turn to get a retrofit ac system installed?

Re: VW Fastback - Air conditioning?

Sushi,

I used to have a link to a air-cooled VW Beetle air conditioning kit...but I can't find it.  I remember it costed somewhere in the range of $1000-$1500!

Pretty pricey...but it includes everything. 

I would imagine trying to find all of the parts necessary from junkyards & other places could be difficult.

One other wrinkle...if the Fastback has the same "pancake" engine as the Squareback...then that will definitely complicate things because of the limited room to install AC.

Good luck,

- Nick

1979 Super Beetle Convertible

Probably be easier and more effective(since you want to use it and not just have it for looks) to just get a new unit. Check out thesamba.com and do a search for companys that offer new units(not cheap so expect that) and you can probably find links people that have actucal had them put in. If price an issue look into a used swamp cooler on ebay, not as good as ac but if your in hell then atleast some help.

Hi Sushi,
Here's a link to a complete (but pricey) air cooled unit:
http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewpr … 0324789647
I don't see the Fastback listed as an option, but I'd give them a call and see. Also, Vintage Air (http://www.vintageair.com/) might be able to help you out....
        Good luck!
        -David

stereotype,

Thanks for those air conditioning links...I thought that I remembered the price of the kit being in the $1000-$1500 range...$1399.00 is pretty pricey! 

Especially considering all of the restoration parts you could buy for that much...heck...you could buy a pretty decent rebuilt engine for that much!

But for the person that has the perfect Bug...or REALLY needs the air conditioning I guess that it would be worth it!

- Nick

Last edited by Bug In My Nose (2006-05-26 06:20:03)

Go to www.gilmore-enterprises.net and cpntact Ed. He has a system for your type 3 that works very well.

-Darby

I went to the website (www.gilmore-enterprises.net)...and according to the website the Type 3 air conditioning systems are "Coming Soon, currently under development".

Not sure if this means:

1. That the systems are actually available via phone call.

2. If the website simply has not been updated.

3. Or if they really are not currently available.

- Nick

There is also another manufacturer called I.C.E. enterprises or some such word that makes AC systems for the VW. I think they are (were) the factory supplier for VW Mexico, read an article in one of the mags a while back about them. A search for I.C.E. should turn up something. Good Luck,
Jordan

Maybe he'll part out the ac : http://www.cvwcl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=93

try: http://www.hotrodair.com/dealers.cfm#
they sell complete air conditioning unit for around $1050

Hot Rod air doesn't have a system for a Type3. Also their system comes from International Conditioning Enterprises (ICE)

-Darby

i have a factory installed ac unit from my 1974 vw beetle. was working when i removed it about 4 years ago. have pics if you want. no warranty no returns for sale for $500.00

I reckon that with only 1 post to their credit, the OP who asked the question four years ago likely isn't watching...

1979 Type 1 Convertible                                       
1971 Type 1 Semi-Automatic Super                       
1961 Type 1 Sedan
1957 Type 1 Sunroof

Yeah...I kind of doubt that "Sushi" (the OP)...is still interested in an air conditioning system after 4 years (and only 1 post). wink

- Nick