Topic: Tire size conversion

It's time to replace the 5.60 x 15 bias ply tires on my '73 std. bug. What is the equivalent radial size?

The car is coming out of a 19 year hibernation.

Jim

Re: Tire size conversion

The actual radial size was 155R15, which is very hard to find except at btlmex.com, and (although the business will continue) I think they close their website very soon. This was the tire used on Mexican Beetle production that ended last year.
More available is the 165R15 - even Sears & PepBoys carry them. This was used on IRS Beetles, and should be fine on your 73.

Jim: In addition to what Tom says and my response to your duplicate post, see http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit … e/back.jpg for the stock tire sizes of a 73.....evidentally it was actually a 6.00-15 bias tire. Hmmn? Interesting..... Clancy

Tom & Clancy -

Thanks for the replies. I checked the car and it has the 5.60 x 15's mounted however the spare is a 6.00 x 15!

My father drove this car up until 1985 when it was parked in my garage. All along it had bias ply highway rib tires. He always said that it was an insult to a Beetle to put snow tires on it. Even with the highway rib tires he always got to where he was going just fine. My father doesn't remember changing tire sizes. Might have been due to availability.

He recently gave me the title to the car so I'll put it back on the road again now. I'll switch it to radials. The car is completely stock so I will go with the 165R15.

Pep Boys carries a Futura Euro Metric and also a Cornell 535 in the 165R15 size.

Jim

Coker Tire

http://www.coker.com/store/customer/pro … amp;page=1

sells 155R15 tires made from original Firestone dies.  They are as original as you'll ever find.

David H
'66 sunroof Beetle

Jim: The Futura Euro Metric are the ones I'm riding on. A great tire, and in my area about $37 each. I do like the Coker tires that David linked to but at $84 each (plus shipping) I'm inclined to shop locally. Didn't Coker use to carry these with White Walls?? I do like white walls! Clancy

I picked up 4 of the Futura Euro Metric 165R15 tires. These were on sale around here (Philadelphia suburbs) until 7/31 at $29.00 a tire. They had 4 in stock. I need to strip and repaint the rims before I can have them mounted.

Jim